Monday, June 22, 2009

Sbicca

I went to Sbicca for the first time this evening. Located in the heart of Del Mar, and with a great website touting fresh California-American cuisine, I had expectations. The atmosphere was good: nice decor, friendly and attentive staff. However, I order the menu was very meat heavy (which I totally respect, but don't indulge in). Okay, fine, my choices are limited. I ordered one of several delicious sounding salads, an appetizer, an entree, and a glass of wine.

The bread came, which was tasty (though could have been warmed). The wine was absolutely delicious. However, the salad was a little too simple (could have made it at home), the appetizer was bland (frilled artichoke... no flavor, and the ranch-style dipping sauce was totally overpowering), and the main course was not very imaginative - eggplant, pepper, tomato, on pasta. It was much better after I added a bunch of extra cheese to it.

Now, I can't rate this place on their meat. Maybe their meat is good, maybe it is not. Regardless, everyone (meat eater or not) should be able to enjoy a good meal of fine vegetables. Unfortunately Sbicca can't provide this.

Instead, go for a glass of wine and enjoy the view.

Sbicca
215 15th St
Del Mar, CA 92014
(858) 481-1001

No comments: