Sunday, April 15, 2007

Whole Foods La Jolla


Well, it’s not like they need the publicity, but I go there regularly, so I thought I’d write them up anyway. Whole Foods La Jolla is a great place for a quick meal. It’s not somewhere you’d go on a romantic date or anything, but they have a hot food bar, a cold food bar (including salad, of course), pizza, soups, sandwiches, drinks, snacks, and even produce! It is a pretty normal sized grocery store (for the United States… HUGE for the rest of the world), but the emphasis on prepared foods is much more than your average store. This is what makes it so good for a meal.

They have meat choices as well as vegetarian; they are healthy and wholesome, but not always good for you. I almost always get one of their soups, but I am a soup lover. I recommend their tomato soup – either of their tomato soups, to be exact. They have everything from a roasted tomato basil soup, which is very heart healthy, to their creamy tomato basil soup, which is a delicious artery clogger. They usually have some kind of chicken soup (like chicken noodle), and a bean based soup (like lentil or split pea). They don’t have anything too unusual, but they still never disappoint.

While I recommend Whole Foods for a meal, I do not suggest you do your regular shopping there. Their grocery prices are very high. If I did regular shopping there, I’d be able to eat one week out of the month. They have a great selection, and offer high quality products, but they are not a good value.

The parking lot is a nightmare- always overcrowded. And the whole mall is like that, so you can’t even head to the back of the lot because it’s full, too. I recommend going at non-peak hours (in other words avoiding the lunch rush and after-work rush). Also beware when you leave the parking lot; if you are going northbound in I5, you must exit form the far side of the mall and go north one block to La Jolla Village Drive. You can not access I5 northbound from Nobel.

Whole Foods Market
8825 Villa La Jolla Dr
La Jolla (San Diego!), CA 92037
(858) 642-6700

No comments: