Friday, January 26, 2007

Daily’s – A Healthy Dining Option Near UTC (University Town Center)

Across the I5 Freeway from La Jolla, hidden on the other side of Towne Center Drive, is a little café called Daily’s. Daily’s was started by a prominent San Diego cardiologist. And this restaurant is all about heart health: delicious food that’s good for your heart.

The menu offers a huge variety of sandwiches and wraps, everything from turkey to chicken to fresh veggies, many of which are vegetarian. There is also a lasagna of the day, a soup of the day, and daily specials that include a side salad or soup and a drink. All options are low in fat and high in fiber.

I tried the grilled panini sandwich with mozzarella, basil, and tomato. This came with a soup, and I chose minestrone. I had fresh brewed berry herbal tea and a blueberry smoothie to round it out. I also got to sample off my friend’s plate, and tried the grilled eggplant and zucchini sandwich. Both were delicious, although I thought the grilled veggie sandwich could have used a more flavorful sauce.

So next time you’re out shopping in La Jolla or at the mall, and want to find a healthy, quick option for lunch or dinner, cruise just a little bit east of the beach for this hidden gem.

UPDATE: Daily's is in the process of moving! New location posted soon...

No comments: